Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Why I'm Apathetic About Seeing Captain Marvel

I'll probably see Captain Marvel, mainly because she'll be in Avengers: End Game but I'm just not feeling the love for it. Here's why:

Brie Larson. The star is outspoken and Woke. She's said that the movie isn't for 40-year-old white guys and she probably doesn't think it's for 64-year-old white guys, either. But that's only a minor complaint. I ignore a lot of dumb things that actors say ad watch their movies anyway.

The Character. I grew up on Marvel Comics during the Lee/Kirby age. I've got the issue where they introduced Captain Marr-Vell of the Kree Space Force. When I think of the character, I think of him in his red and blue costume fighting Thanos. When I think of Carol Danvers I think of her in her black costume with the lightening bolt and her long blond hair. I've only read a few comics with Carol as Captain Marvel and I didn't care for them.

They Changed the Character. From what's come out so far, they writers threw everything in the comics out the window and started from scratch. That's very risky. All of the other characters have had a relationship to their comic origin. By eliminating that they are trying to substitute an all new character with a familiar name. They did at least use the Kree. They added in the Skrulls who have a long history of enmity with the Kree but have nothing to do with Marvel's origin.

Social Justice. A few years ago the Powers That Be at Marvel Comics decided to eliminate all of their major white male characters and replace them with a new set of minorities and women. Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel suddenly became the flagship of this movement. Fans hated it. Sales plummeted leading to DC beating Marvel in sales for the first time in decades. My fear is that the whole social justice movement at Marvel Comics came from the Disney take-over and that the Captain Marvel movie is the MCU version of this. Movies haev a much longer lead time than comic books so it could have taken until now for Disney's influence to show up in the MCU. Promos that say Captain Marvel will take her place as the most powerful hero in the MCU seem to back that up.

The Trailers. I've been having misgivings since they announced the movie but I had misgivings when they announced Iron Man, The Guardians and Ant Man. The trailers for all three made me want to see the movies. The Captain Marvel trailers haven't done that. I've seen her flying around, in a place and on her own, I've seen her with some Kree and with a young Nick Fury, I've seen her punching out Skrulls but I haven't seen anything that makes me want to see more. I'm afraid that the movie will just be a long bore with Carol as a Mary Sue.

The worst thing about this is that I'm beginning to lose faith in Avengers: End Game because Captain Marvel might fly in and ruin it.

So the big question, after messing up the Star Wars universe, will Disney mess up the MCU?

No comments: